• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Another Swingvid

I'm sure most of us, if not all, have met the wall of fire. You just have to get through it man, and you will be much better for having done so. And if there are any here who have not fought through the fire they are either lucky or are about to do it. I feel so much stronger after working through problems because now I am armed with the ability to recognize and change a fault. I just went through one this month and am actually glad it happened. It is the old "learn more from my losses" thing I guess. That is the way I view these things anyway.

What feels right and what is right can be oh so very different. This is why a good set of eyes is ever so crucial. A good teacher needs to be able to see the things that make a difference, and ignore the things that wont.
I know in my case I got lucky and got a tip from a vid I posted here. Again an outside set of eyes can spot what you yourself cant. I was standing to close to the ball and on the downswing, especially nearing impact was jamming myself. It swas kind of like trying to hit an inside pitch. Well when I got into the proper position it felt like crap, felt like I was a mile from the ball. After a month of work, it now feels like gold. Impact is the best it has been in my entire golfing life. When I see a vid now it looks so much more textbook.
The golf swing is a funny thing, it is hard on the ego thats for sure. Critisism is your friend, because it is in the end what will make you better.

I agree with the other poster, you can read and read, like i do, i dont though try to apply everything to my golf swing, i use it for reference and knowledge and keeping an open mind, in fact my book shelf is very eclectic, i am reading at the moment

Q School John Feinstein
Hogans Secret
The majors John feinstein
Search for the perfect swing Mike Austin
Tigers New swing john andrisani
The golf machine Homer Kelley (heavy stuff)

I read these for knowledge and only integrate if i think it is applicable, as Lyle says another educated set of eyes is invaluable.

GO EZRA

I went to the range and a little something clicked from chapter 2 anyway. I just kept saying "cohesion" over and over. I was delivering the club on a much better inside path but it felt really weird to try to stay so connected. I'll see what I can do next week about scheduling a lesson. For now I guess I'll just keep using the Hogan fundamentals best I can. I didn't do too bad, hitting a little draw with the driver and 3wood. 3W a lot more constitant. I may just try to use it primarily on Sunday.

OK. I can only do 4 at a time but these 4 show no lift, no way. Also at this point my weight is nearly entirely on my right side. I do go further past parallel but I'd like to simply work on stopping and intiating the downswing at around this point. IMO if I can do that it will be a very good swing, not something to mess with after that, just hit 50,000 balls and groove it. From everything I've ever read or heard that K in the 4th picture is perfect position?

View attachment 3555View attachment 3556

View attachment 3557View attachment 3558

EZ, If you just shorten up your back swing you will be fine. If you stop your back swing at the positon in your last picture it would look a lot better. When I watched your video and paused it at the very top before you start your down swing, your hands are behind your head and to get your hands there you are bending your elbows and that is when you also get that lateral slide going on. With your build and flexability a good swing to copy is CHIII. Go to youtube and search for his swing vision and others. then watch it, stop at different positions throughout his swing and then compare to yours at the same position and its crazy how much you can learn about your swing. here you go I did it for you. YouTube - Charles Howell Swing Vision

Thanks. I'd seen those before but now, after reading more of Hogan's book, something starting to make sense. I always took the club away high, away from my body, losing connection almost immediately, then trying to reroute it back inside was a crapshoot. Staying connected feels very weird, like I'm taking a little 1/2 to 3/4 swing but I was hitting from an inside position without even thinking about it. I don't know how far drives were going but 5-9 iron were about my same distances but a higher flight... and with a much easier swing. I'm going to keep working out of the book and get a lesson plan setup soon.

I have read Hogan’ book and go back and skim it over when I run into problems. One thing that helped me is how he talks about resisting the turn in your legs and hips and building up the tension. I use to be a slider I had a lot of problems with the driver and was very inconsistent. I would just slide my weight over to the right in my back swing and drive on to my left side, I had a lot of balance issues. When you look at all those pro’s swings they are so well planted they get a lot of power and torque from their lower body with out a lot of excessive lower body movement. Except for guys like Vjay and Phil but Harman will probably quite down Phil’s leg movement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520