• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bay Area golf

I played the Tournament Course at Coyote Creek on Saturday. At $102, it is a rip off.
Thanks for the info.

Rio Vista was crazy windy -- 150-yard 4-iron windy. I hit one drive 310 yards and another one 210 yards. Hacked it up in the morning but shot 73 on the second 18 :laugh:

OK, how about driving ranges? As much as it pains me to say it, I need to spend some time hitting balls.

I really miss free practice time on grass tees...growing up a country club snob and then college golf spoils a guy. :(

Going to Eagle Ridge -- 8 a.m. tomorrow! Is the course as brutal as it looks from the back tee? How windy is it?

At 8AM the wind won't be a problem for you. Plus, the wind is supposed to fairly calm this weekend. The back tees aren't too bad. I played from the Blue tees when I played there. I shot a 90 and I play to about a 17.

S-

I wasn't that impressed. I'm not a big lover of "mountain courses" in general, but outside of Tehama this is the most tricked-up course I've played in the bay area. Quite a few blind shots, extremely penal if you miss the generous-ish fairways, huge bi-level greens that were in nice shape. It didn't help that the guy I got paired with was giving terrible advice -- not on purpose, he was just clueless.

If you can keep the ball out of trouble, it's not that hard. I hacked it up with my irons (8 greens) but didn't hit into any junk off the tee and shot 78 from the blues with three 3-putts, all of those because I was on the wrong level. If you are spraying your driver get ready for a long day.

I'm glad I played there, but not worth the 1.5 hour drive and $100. Also, I'm a walker and Eagle Ridge is not a walking course -- lots of long distances between a green and the next tee.

Great weather though.

I broke 80 for the first time ever today when I shot a 79 (39/40) at Cinnabar Hills on the Lake/Mountain course (71.2/134). I was at 2 over after 14 holes and kind of choked over the last 4 holes (+1, +1, +2, +1). But I am still quite happy with the score. I shot my best ever score on that course combination with an 84 last Saturday.

Things are looking up!

S-

Nice job sidewinder!

I played at Wente Vineyards in Livermore today and was very impressed. From the start it was good as they had a nice practice area to chip and putt and every player gets a free yardage book. Pretty wide open but lots of OB if you're spraying it, moderate distance wise with a lot of elevation changes. The black tees weren't open for play, as they shouldn't have been. Even with the elevations, the course was easy enough to walk except for getting up to #1 and #10. It was quite windy but what courses around here aren't. :( I liked how there were quite a few short holes, with a couple 300-yard par 4s and a short-iron par 3, and #17 and #18 were both brute par 4's. The greens were interesting -- uphill putts were really slow, downhill putts were really fast; you could see the grain 'shine' on the way down and get dull on the way up. They rolled true and I made a few good putts. Unfortunately I was paired with three total hacks but maybe next time that situation will be better. I'll definitely be back.

The Course at Wente Vineyards - Livermore Valley Golf, California Golf, Livermore Valley Wine, Fine Weddings and Special Events

BTW that web site is awesome -- they have a camera you can control to see a bunch of the holes.

You guys suck! I hit SJ Muni this morning. I'm just thrilled that my game is starting to come out of its funk!

Sidewinder - nicely done!! I've yet to play Cinnabar when I'm driving the ball well so I've yet post a good score there. If you went sub-80 there then you must have been hitting the ball pretty damn well.

Nice job sidewinder!

I played at Wente Vineyards in Livermore today and was very impressed. From the start it was good as they had a nice practice area to chip and putt and every player gets a free yardage book. Pretty wide open but lots of OB if you're spraying it, moderate distance wise with a lot of elevation changes. The black tees weren't open for play, as they shouldn't have been. Even with the elevations, the course was easy enough to walk except for getting up to #1 and #10. It was quite windy but what courses around here aren't. :( I liked how there were quite a few short holes, with a couple 300-yard par 4s and a short-iron par 3, and #17 and #18 were both brute par 4's. The greens were interesting -- uphill putts were really slow, downhill putts were really fast; you could see the grain 'shine' on the way down and get dull on the way up. They rolled true and I made a few good putts. Unfortunately I was paired with three total hacks but maybe next time that situation will be better. I'll definitely be back.

The Course at Wente Vineyards - Livermore Valley Golf, California Golf, Livermore Valley Wine, Fine Weddings and Special Events

BTW that web site is awesome -- they have a camera you can control to see a bunch of the holes.

I tried the camera and couldn't see a damn thing!
icon12.gif

Was in Pleasanton this weekend but didn't get a chance to play. did check out some courses though. Callippe Preserve Golf Course looked like it was in good shape. And saw the course Paula Creamer grew up on Castlewood Country Club - Home Page as well as her old house. You guys ever make it up that way? The courses look to be in pretty good shape and I'm playing next time I make it up there. Won't be until next year though.

Sidewinder - nicely done!! I've yet to play Cinnabar when I'm driving the ball well so I've yet post a good score there. If you went sub-80 there then you must have been hitting the ball pretty damn well.
chemboy2,

Thank you! I was hitting everything really well but my chipping and putting were awesome. Usually some aspect of my game is off (most often it is irons). But that day....

S-

I played at Presidio today -- we were supposed to tee off at 5:30, actually got off at 5:40. I have been finishing 18 holes at Harding Park starting at that time, so I was at least hopeful of getting 13 holes in and turning in a score. At 7:45, we arrived at the 7th tee as the THIRD GROUP waiting. The same thing happened on the 6th hole, we were the third group. At the very least I wanted to get a beer or something, but obviously the halfway house was closed. As my playing partners and I were deciding to pack it in, we ran into a ranger who got defensive and started blabbing about it being a public course and that we just had to deal. (BTW we didn't complain or make any accusations, he just went off unprovoked.) "Sometimes it flows at 4 hours a round, sometimes it flows at 6 hours." Wait a second -- did you just use the word "flow" in the same sentence as 6 hour round?

Just for some perspective, here are the approximate distances from the back tee of the six holes it took more than two hours to get through:
1. par 4, 360 yards
2. par 5, 480 yards
3. par 4, 380 yards
4. par 3, 140 yards
5. par 4, 300 yards
6. par 4, 370 yards

Speaking of which, they have had the blue tees shut down all three times I've been there. The blue tees are 6400 yards, white tees 6100 yards. WTF.

I'm officially done with that course.

Played Foxtail today -- it looked like a dogtrack and had the atmosphere of a dogtrack, but the layout was actually pretty solid. Greens were quick and the course was pretty burned out. Not worth $60 but still fun.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520