• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Big Match at the Port

Dave Ireland said:
So how did I end up getting stiffed a shot ? .... this isn't an "all seeing eye" rolled up trouser leg thing is it between you and IG ??

I did it to make the betting easy...

Remember my original format - proposed a few days ago...

1) Play a 36 hole Stableford for the individual championship. $10 per player. TM must reduce his hc by 2 strokes as penalty for welching on the first match.

2) In the morning, you and DI play TM and KA in a $3 Nassau, automatic 2 down press, $1 trash.

3) In the afternoon, you and KA play DI and TM in the same wager.

I wanted to simplify things a bit on the handi's..

TM must play IG level...TM gets no strokes in consideration of his previous thrashing. This is his welching penalty.

KA is going to be hot from his rounds in Scotland - so I am knocking him down 2 (remember this).

I am still giving you 1.3 above your index in consideration that you are playing at IG's place and he is playing at level 5 (vs 5.4).

Therefore, for simplicity (and in summary) IG and TM play level (and oppose each other the entire day) - while you give KA a simple stroke a side. And remember DI is your morning partner...

Bravo said:
I did it to make the betting easy...

2) In the morning, you and DI play TM and KA in a $3 Nassau, automatic 2 down press, $1 trash.

Apart from confusing me as to who I am , as you responded as if I was IG .. can you explain this bet to me ? ;)

Dave Ireland said:
Apart from confusing me as to who I am , as you responded as if I was IG .. can you explain this bet to me ? ;)

Sorry about that I misread the old post. You know who you are.:)

Can you explain the nassau, press, trash bet Bravo ?

Dave Ireland said:
Can you explain the nassau, press, trash bet Bravo ?

$2 front, $2 back and $2 overall round.

When one group gets down two holes, a second "press" bet begins automatically and runs concurrently with the first one. At the end of the front side, the bets for that side are totaled and you start fresh on the backside.

Trash is defined as birdies, eagles, sandy pars from either a fairway bunker or greenside bunker and closest to the pin on Par 3's - provided you do not three putt.

We usually pay $1 for each of the above....

Bravo said:
$2 front, $2 back and $2 overall round.

When one group gets down two holes, a second "press" bet begins automatically and runs concurrently with the first one. At the end of the front side, the bets for that side are totaled and you start fresh on the backside.

Trash is defined as birdies, eagles, sandy pars from either a fairway bunker or greenside bunker and closest to the pin on Par 3's - provided you do not three putt.

We usually pay $1 for each of the above....

In VT some guys will also play for Rocky's and polsters, long drive in the fairway on par 5's... the more trash the better. (EDIT - We also play barkies, use your imagination imagine a sandy from the woods)

Jesus, your games sound complicated.

My buddy and I go out, play, total our rounds and say "wow, that was ass" and go home happy and no poorer.

Silver said:
Jesus, your games sound complicated.

My buddy and I go out, play, total our rounds and say "wow, that was ass" and go home happy and no poorer.
Seconded, brother...

With all that trash a lot of matches end up no blood, so all is good.

We sometimes play nassau by the 5 with an automatic 2 down press which can get interesting if you're not playing well... In those cases when you get down (if you're playing a fourball), you can have one guy playing for the match and the other just playing for the trash. For example try to dump it in the sand or trees (I forgot to mention Barkies in my VT trash description)

We never play a stableford format though, usually it's match play with X number of strokes based on golfer/hole index.

Wow ....... dunno how you can cocentrate on golf with the sideshow going on. I'm just looking for a cheap day out - I'll get burned on the golf course, no point in adding insult to injury and getting burned in the pocket too.

Of course I have a foreign exchange issue too - 25 countries in Europe have the same currency - then you have the UK and N Ireland, who refuse to come on board - so I gotta pay the banks commission for my sterling all for the plesure of having it taken off me within 5 hours :(

Just hope IG pays for lunch ....

Oh Dave tell me ya don't wager...we talked about this format last year...

You could write the book on golf wagerin'

Bravo said:
Oh Dave tell me ya don't wager...we talked about this format last year...

You could write the book on golf wagerin'

Dave has the car almost sold, the house remortgaged, a couple of his kids in Sweat Shops, so he can pitch up with the ante for this game.

I see already the shy, almost bashful look of the "I don't play much cards, how do you play this game called poker again?" face that Dave will pull on the first tee.

Then before the first ball is struck Bagger Dave will have all of our souls on the line. ;)

Dave Ireland said:
Wow ....... dunno how you can cocentrate on golf with the sideshow going on. I'm just looking for a cheap day out - I'll get burned on the golf course, no point in adding insult to injury and getting burned in the pocket too.

Just hope IG pays for lunch ....

Haha - not every game we play is like this. We don't really play all that many money games to be honest, actually I probably play half the time as a single.

There are guys around though that won't play any other way. There was a threesome on the tee yesterday when I arrived that didn't want me to join them, because they were in a money game. Luckily for me, some friends showed up and we played so I wasn't waiting and smashing balls into those guys.

It's a bit Irish...

My ho'ing isn't restricted to golf clubs. I scored a nice Kodak digi cam on ebay 3 weeks ago from Philly USA. Parcel was being sent USPS so I allowed 2 weeks delivery time - plenty of time for its debut in Portstewart. I got a note from customs yesterday telling me they needed invoice so apply sales and customs.

Rang the office this morning which is the far side of Dublin City with details. Right sez I ....can youse release the goods and send them this afternoon. We will sez she .... I'll have it tomorrow then sez I ... ehhh no sez she we have to send the parcel back to the despatch depot now that customs are cleared (bear in mind a 20 min taxi will get me there) ..... where's the depot in Dublin I enquire ....ehhhh not Dublin - Limerick sez she (120 miles away)

I was at a crossroads now - have a good argument with her about the Kakaesque nature of the civil service, but nah I took the easy way out and just broke me arse laffin down the phone

I need that camera quick to give you all a photo diary of the day (which starts at 6 in the morning) ...the 16 year old that I might be pickin up on the way - the tanning and handover of the cash that either IG or KA will give me and the sad little look on my boys faces when I tell them that their Da's a loser .....

Dave Ireland said:
I need that camera quick to give you all a photo diary of the day (which starts at 6 in the morning) ...the 16 year old that I might be pickin up on the way - the tanning and handover of the cash that either IG or KA will give me and the sad little look on my boys faces when I tell them that their Da's a loser .....

LOL
Don't worry Dave. I have enough memory on my Olympus to capture the whole day plus some. Remember to bring your sombrero, I'll get a pic of that before we commence.

I'll also inform the PSNI to overlook your kerb crawling, when you are picking up The Master.

No news yet from KA. I'm waiting for the call. As for The Master....?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422

eclark53520