• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Do you tip the head pro?

Today has become Movie Quote Day, Sil.

Big hitter, the Lama. :D

The flowing robes.....bald.....striking....

R35

rockford35 said:
If you're paying for a service, you don't tip. Conversely, if you are paying for service by tipping (like Buddha's waitress), then you obviously tip.

Do you tip your plumber for getting your drain unclogged?

Exactly.

You paid him $X to straighten out your drive. Period.

Shake the man's hand, and head to the range.

R35

This is spot on in my view and the way I look at it as well...I don't think they Expect a tip either...

I see, I guess I just haven't seen that particular movie.

I can pinpoint almost every single SW quote in the other thread. I've literally seen Ep IV like...112 times or something.

Gunga - Gungalagunga

So, as it turns out, not only have I not seen that movie...I've never even heard of it.

I mean...wtf?

It's a Cinderella story, Silver.

bdcrowe said:
It's a Cinderella story, Silver.

If the pro came outa nowhere, and was a former greenskeepa, then yes I would tip him, otherwise no.

You North Americans and yer tips! Us Irish have the reputation for being the meanest people on Earth. Actually it's the Scots. But that whole tipping thing drives me nuts, also the tax thing. Why not just pay a final amount that takes care of everything.

Only place I generally tip is in resturants (10-15%). Or sometimes when I'm a bit drunk in a taxi, its "Keep the change Dude". It sounds mean I guess, but that's our Celtic culture. Anyway considering everything here is about 50% more than you guys seem to pay (Petrol, golf clubs, beer - IOW all the important things in life) then tipping is just adding salt to the wounds.

Case in point:

12 ProV1s are £36 in local sports shop (IOW typical price) which equates to about $65.

I see your point on this. Yes, your cost of living is quite a bit higher.

And you are right on the tipping thing over here. I have moved across country a couple of times and (believe it or not) the laborers who move your furniture sometimes expect tips...that is nutz.

Licence to Kill golf pros... by the government of the united nations.

Bravo said:
I see your point on this. Yes, your cost of living is quite a bit higher.

And you are right on the tipping thing over here. I have moved across country a couple of times and (believe it or not) the laborers who move your furniture sometimes expect tips...that is nutz.

I tipped the guy that moved us to our house from our apartment, only cuz he gave us a deal on the original price. Basically it was a lateral move from him skimmin' off the top....lol.

I only tip at restaurants. And even then, I'm scroogey. I evaluate my tip amount based on service. If you come to the table once for the order and once to drop off the food and then I have to go to the front to get the bill, you're getting zero. Tips are performance based, and shouldn't be expected.

Good story about tips...

When I was about 15, my family took a trip to the Black Hills comaping. But, we spent an awful lot of time in places like Hardees because of the Grand Slam breakfast. When you have 4 kids, it's cheap.

Anyways, we get to some town and Dad says "Here's $20 each for you to spend on the trip, so spend it wisely." My brother (he's about 10 at this point) heads right into some kids shop and picks out some "GI Joe Super Base Extravaganza System with real Missle Action" or some crazy thing, and puts it up on the till.

My Dad says "Uh, son, that's a little more than 20 dollars."

Bro says "It's OK dad, I have my own money."

Dad see bro pull at least 125USD from his pockets in small bills.

Dad says "Where did you get all that money?"

Bro says "People in the US are so stupid. They just leave money on the tables when they're finished breakfast".

The kid had swiped tip money for about 5 days straight off tables at breakfast restaurants that we had been at without anyone noticing. He was none the wiser, as around these parts at that time, you weren't allowed to leave tips on the table, you had to pay at the front counter.

All Dad could do was laugh.

What a dolt. :p

What goes around, comes around tho....

About 10 years later, he lost 250USD body surfing in Florida.

R35

And at 10, he had to look so innocent.... ;)

See, I look at it totally differently. Especially in the US, the entitlement mentality has hit big time, and this lousy concept of "not my job" and doing the least you can for your check is rampant. As a result, most of the service one gets is clearly sub-par. If I get someone who I think does a really good job for me, I give him or her a little extra, kinda like, "Thanks, great work. Keep it up" You know, a mini bonus.

On the other hand, I tip at restaraunts on a sliding scale, from 20% (or more) on down.

I never leave nothing, but will leave an absolutely insulting tip if the service was horrible, just so they know I thought it was horrible. Like 2 cents.

As you can probably guess, I'm a big believer in karma.

"Hey, honey, you're all right. You musta been something before electricity!"

Silver said:
So, as it turns out, not only have I not seen that movie...I've never even heard of it.

I mean...wtf?

How could you be a golfer then?

"Mom!!!....Danny saw me naaa...kid"

I smell varmint poontang, and the only good varmint poontang is dead varmint poontang, I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520