• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good Advice

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
A friend of mine got me back into the game last year and while we don't live in the same city anymore he stills gives me advice about golf. He's played many years and like most of us is just out to enjoy the game. I don't think he keeps a handicap but I would say he's around an 18.

I'm copying an email he sent me after I was bitching about having a sales "pro" give me too much advice all at the same time and really screwing me up. Just thought it was good advice and wanted to share. Enjoy.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the “customer” and salesperson. Golf is a game that can be played by anyone at anytime in their lives. It can be played at the highest level (Tiger and Jack) or the lowest level (some don’t even keep score). The sport requires more practice and more concentration than any I have ever played and practice takes time. Time has always been the enemy. You can only be as good as time will allow you to either play or practice. I personally will always opt to play instead of practice. My practice time is generally when I don’t have enough time to play. When you do take the time to play you will then be forced to focus on every shot in order to execute the way you know that you can. Unfortunately there are often distractions. Whether it is with fellow golfers, the elements of the weather, too much on your mind, or some bird has the audacity to sing during your backswing. I always tell myself that I work for a living and golf for fun. No matter what the circumstances I try get something positive from a round or practice session. I will often go out as a single and get paired with strangers and 95% of the time it is a pleasurable experience. But every once in a while you get the *******(s).

Let’s talk about lessons. I really believe most golfers can benefit by taking lessons. However, I do not believe a person that has limited playing time should not try to reinvent the wheel when they go for lessons. I think if you try to focus on whatever is bothering you the most about your game that it can be rewarding. You are able to hit golf shots that most golfers are incapable of hitting. Fine tune that part of your game within your own skill level. Work on problem areas with a pro until you get enough of an understanding to apply the correct concepts. Short game is where you will improve your scoring. You have the perfect area to work on your short game in your yard (or the neighbors). Pick a target to land your chip and pitch shots. If you have a long chip or pitch pick a target half way to the hole and it will seem to make the shot look easier. Find a nearby course with a decent putting green and go there just to practice chipping (if they allow) and putting, it’s free. Develop a solid putting stroke (ask a pro). Over 75% of your golf shots are from less than fifty yards.

Golf can be enjoyed by all. The game is addictive to many. Never stop learning about the game or trying to improve. We have a lot of room to improve when you look at Tiger’s game and our game. Always be yourself and use your personal strengths in your game. I love reading books and magazines but have learned to limit the amount of crap going through my head when I play. Some days will be better than others. Remember a person only shoots their handicap once in every five rounds. Smile.

Equipment. Because the equipment we use is always changing it is important to take advantage of it whenever possible. You must have good weapons when you go to war. If you find the right club(s) that you are comfortable with keep using them. Even the pros will hang on to certain clubs and they get them free. Some pros even tinker with their own weapons. Most stores will allow you to return or exchange clubs after you have purchased them. Don’t worry about matching every club. Irons will generally be a set 3 – PW. Metal woods can be mixed because each one performs a different task. Wedges can also be mixed but iron sets will generally include a PW and sometimes SW. Don’t worry about having wedges that match your irons. Hybrids can be awesome. You need a recovery club that you hit consistently well to get you back on track. This club can be anything that will go between 150 – 200 yards from practically any lie. It can be a six iron to a five wood. Use the recovery club often even if you are thinking about another option.

Hope this helps. Really glad to see you have passion for the game. You can get so much out of golf. I remember hearing an sports announcer telling us that even with the Tiger phenomenon the number of golfers has not increased dramatically. For three reasons, it is too expensive, takes too long and is just too hard. Personally I love the challenge.

After the tax season I will try to get back for another visit. I thoroughly enjoyed my last one and look forward to playing with you again. That was a lot of fun. Let me know how your lessons go and what clubs you end up buying.

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
Sounds like a great guy to have as a friend. Get him on Shottalk, man!

I second that! His letter was very well written... I just had a great round today with two good friends and a guy I just met and we all had a blast - and I think the main reason was that all of us seemed to remember that we "work for a living and golf for fun".

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.