• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Good grips for craptastic levels of humidity?

BrandonM7

Reaction score
I'm sorry for making another grip thread - I searched and found several, but didn't find much info about good grips for highly humid conditions. Most comments about humidity were just saying what grips sucked in that condition, and that's exactly the opposite of what I'm wondering. I did see one post from Eracer saying he kept going back to Tour Velvets, and he plays in a similar climate to mine. I was just hoping maybe I could get a little more input. For the record I don't mean slightly uncomfortable humidity - I mean that nasty deep South junk where you walk from your house to your truck and notice the back of your shirt is wet when you sit down, and it's only 10am. The kind where parts of you sweat that you didn't even know you had if you spend more than 10 minutes outside.

I know right off the bat that Lamkin Crosslines are complete garbage when it's humid. I went to the range Friday and just walked off after hitting half of my bucket. The club was slipping so much at the top and impact that it was impossible to have fun. Holding the club was like trying to hold a catfish, and golf really sucks when you're trying to hit the ball with a catfish.

I swung by Dick's today and picked up a GP Tour Velvet, Tour Velvet Full Cord, Winn Xi7, and Lamkin Dual Density Torsion Control to try out on a few clubs. I walked around the store balling my hands up for about 10 minutes to make my palms sweat, and then slid the grips around in them - these 4 felt the best. Actually the GPTV didn't feel all that great, but I put a lot of stock in Eracer's word so I figured I'd throw that one in the pot to see how it does in real testing.

Any others I should try? I've actually found the Winn DSi to be perfect in these conditions, but I can't afford to replace my grips 6 times a year, especially at $5+ a piece. My previous clubs have a synthetic wrap (that's an actual wrap) that worked great, but I really don't know where to find a real wrap or how to put it on, so that's out.

Any opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Thanks.

Holding the club was like trying to hold a catfish, and golf really sucks when you're trying to hit the ball with a catfish.

This is one of the best things I've read on this website.

Also- don't put TOO much stock in Eracer's opinions. The golf is just a cover- he's a professional checkers player.

Also- don't put TOO much stock in Eracer's opinions. The golf is just a cover- he's a professional checkers player.
Sadly, I'm better at golf than I am at checkers.

Seriously, I appreciate the thought Brandon. The Tour Velvets just work. The only other grips on your list that I've tried are the Torsion Controls, and I got rid of them for other reasons, so I can't really comment on their performance in humidity. Corded grips are great in the rain, so I guess they're good in humidity too. I just hate the way they feel. I've got the new GP DD2's on my irons now (since that's what they came with) and this summer will be a good test for them.

And I hate all Winns.

If your having mositure issues, I would probably go to a corded grip. Either Lamkin Crossline Soft Cord (get the black Crosslines instead of the paint fill crosslines) or GP Tour Velvet Cords are probably your cheapest options for corded, or get into the GP Decade grip (semi corded) which is a bit more expensive.

Personally, I have been using the Lamkin Dual Density Tortion Controls with no slip problems so far, but they have been on the clubs under a year. A cheaper grip that intreagues me in the Lamkin/Michelin OCS grip. I have not put one in play, but from the samples I handled in January, they had some amazing grip for a non-corded grip and come in cheaper that most corded grips. Another cheaper option is Sharpro Grips. I have not personally played the Sharpro's, but some folks on this site swear by them and they are cheaper than either GP or Lamkin.

I think for moisture control you almost have to go with a corded something. I'm a GP multi compound guy, corded yet soft on the hands. Most other corded grips will be a bit firm with little shock obsorption. Have also read some good things about the Sharpo's as well and tried the Sharpro dual cord velvet but didn't like it. If you can find one maybe give Sharpros Dual compound a shot (looks like a GPMC), probably cheaper than a GP, but not sure of performance. Cord is what you need though.

its was a hot and very humid 94 yesterday playing and my Sharpro DC cords held up the best ive had on my clubs... not a one was slick from my sweat... and i was sweating

Golf pride DD2's are the best grips I've come across for when it's damp conditions weather that be rain or sweat.

Golf Pride Decade's. I've just got some Sharpro equivalents to try that were half the price. :)

Golf Pride Decade's. I've just got some Sharpro equivalents to try that were half the price. :)

WBL,

Where did ya find 'em? And I'd like to hear what you think after you've played them.

In high humidity nothing will beat the multi compound grips. Sharpro's are every bit as good as the GP version so save some pennies and get the Sharpro ones.

I actually have one of the Sharpro grips on a club I hate that I'll add to the testing - it came on a 3W I bought cheap last year and have only used in cold weather. I'll put it in the bag for the next trip.

Anyone have an opinion on the Avon D2x or Tacki-Mac DM Cord? They look very similar and are even cheaper - not that price is a huge issue, but if it so happens a $2.50 grip is as good as a $7.25 grip I'd be an idiot not to find out.

Thanks for the input everyone.

i've got some tacimac 1/2 cords on the bench - from handling them I think I prefer them to the actual golf pride decades I have on the clubs - a little firmer maybe - but pretty nice

GP Decade. 'Nuff said.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422