• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

I'm so pissed off I could spit....

One of them is a lawyer who helped me (pro bono) through a very difficult time two years ago with top notch legal services as well as emotional support...he wouldn't take a dime and told me if I sent him a check he'd shred it.

You cannot afford to lose a friend like that. I wish my old man had a friend like that two years ago. 25 large on legal fees on a bullcrap lawsuit, brought by people like the ones that will drive carts over tee boxes and greens when its wet. Some people are just dicks. Like was mentioned, if you can take your good partners with you, make the split. Golf is supposed to be fun, remember? (I need to remind myself of that all the time!)

Dave - For me it doesn't matter if it's a $2 Nassau (probably about L1) or whatever the amount. If there is some amount of money (it may be just post round drinks) then the game becomes a competition between players and the rules must be followed.

Rolling the ball is the same as preferred lies. Many clubs will post notices allowing this during the winter or inclement weather.

I agree,so Bravo should either leave this group or just agree he isn't playing for anything because the rules violations annoy him,rightly so

Bravo,
Regardless of what you decide on playing with the guy, I think you owe it to yourself and the course to sit down with the guy and talk about the part that is detrimental to the course or at least if you should see it again in the future. After all, I'm sure you feel the same way I do that it is your other home away from home. So if someone comes in and takes a dump on your carpet, I would be inclined to make sure they know my thoughts and are not welcome back if they do not respect my home.

This is probably a little more touchy, like if a roommate or family member where to do the same. Not like you would want to tell them not to come back, but for piece of mind I would not feel bad letting them know how you feel in hopes that it would not happen again.

If they can not respect that part, then I guess it would leave no question and you at least are looking out for your second home. After all, you are paying a pretty handsome sum to be able to enjoy the course and any damage done will not only come out of his pocket but yours as well.

I think you are well within your rights to say something, and personally if it ends up serving no purpose, it would be within your rights to say something to the course super or Pro.

We too are fortunate we don't see this often, but because we are still open to the public it is something you occasionally see. None of our members have a real problem with driving up to one that does that and tell them to either respect the course or they will likely be asked to leave. If they do not like this, we usually let them know it may be the last round they will play there if we have our choice. For the most part though, it usually ends peacefully back at the clubhouse on the 19th hole, and they usually realize it is for the good of the course and look forward to coming back. Most we talk to view this as one of the most well maintained courses in the Poconos, and we try and show our appreciation by helping out every chance we get.

Sometimes you need to put your foot down & make a point. One of the guys from work would bring his cousin along on our outings & we didn't mind. However the guy is the biggest cheat in the world, hack & hack & hack some more, yet somehow when he finally got to the green it would be for par. Sure someone like that is only screwing themselves because they never know if they are actually getting any better, but it pissed the rest of us off when he would announce this bs score at the end of the rd & look at us as if we were supposed to believe it & praise him. I talked to the guy I work with & told him that so long as his cousin was going to continue to act in that manner then he was no longer welcome at our outings, we haven't seen him now in 2 months.

Sorry Bravo, I guess I don't understand. Unless I have something on the game with the guys I'm playing with, I don't give a rat's azz how they play the game. If playing with guys that cheat bothers you so much then don't play with them. That seems pretty simple to me.

BTW - Rolling the ball in the fairway is cheating - not trying to be a jerk, but you can't have it both ways. There are two games (G)olf where you play by all the rules and (g)olf where you play by some of the rules. It sounds like you play golf and you want to be the one that decides which rules will be ignored.

The rules we play have been written down and agreed upon by the entire group. Therefore if everyone would abide by the same rules then there is no "cheating". You've got to understand that 'cheating' is when one player gains a relative advantage over another by breaking the rules. We sat down two months ago and agreed to play by the ROG with the exception of these two rules. Therefore if everyone would observe them, there would be no "cheating'.

We bet EVERY time we play. There are no rounds where we are not betting.

You need to understand that this is a group of men who has played virtually every round together for the past five years. At many private clubs, this is the way it is done. You have 'clubs within the club' and players stick with their one group that is organized. For new members, it is tough to find a group to play with and usually occurs over time as they get to know people.

This is what causes my situtation to be very difficult for me...Clugnut made a great point that I do not want to lose the friendship of so many that I enjoy and respect, who play by the rules we have agreed to.

I'm considering taking some time off from it for awhile....

Maybe you need a third rule. ANYONE caught not playing by the agreed on rules, is disquaified for that day. I would image most of your group would go along with that. Make it a point to JOKE about "catching someone cheating". Getting EVERYONE to laugh at the cheater will do more than jumpin his bones. My many years of life tell me every group has at least one problem. Try to solve this one before moving to another problem. " Familiarity breeds contempt" is never more true than when applied to a group of competeing humans. The course manager needs to know about the driving on the tee box, etc. He can straighten out the guilty party better than you. It's his job. Sounds like you've enjoyed most of your time with most of your group. You need to be careful not to burn any bridges. Just MHO AND GOOD LUCK.

I like your idea....maybe I will run it by the others.

BTW - I was so pissed, I took all of Labor Day weekend off from golf. We had good weather and I had no interest in it.

Maybe you need a third rule. ANYONE caught not playing by the agreed on rules, is disquaified for that day. I would image most of your group would go along with that. Make it a point to JOKE about "catching someone cheating". Getting EVERYONE to laugh at the cheater will do more than jumpin his bones. My many years of life tell me every group has at least one problem. Try to solve this one before moving to another problem. " Familiarity breeds contempt" is never more true than when applied to a group of competeing humans. The course manager needs to know about the driving on the tee box, etc. He can straighten out the guilty party better than you. It's his job. Sounds like you've enjoyed most of your time with most of your group. You need to be careful not to burn any bridges. Just MHO AND GOOD LUCK.

Good thoughts here...

Hey, I'm learning here, ok???

1) Can roll the ball in the fairway - cannot touch it elsewhere.
2) Putts in leather are considered good.
Please help me, as I have no idea what that means.
Also, what's a "tick"?
(except for those bugs I pick off my dog.)

Hey, what do you expect,
I'm just a redneck from South Joisey!!!:laugh:

My posts never mentioned a 'tick'....down South this means a little bug that bites and is hard to remove...

I took it (ticks) to mean "dots" or some sort of mark that denotes that you have won a hole. It's a way of keeping up with your bets on the scorecard.

If you are playing "scats" or wolf or whatever, anytime you win a hole you get a "tick" or a "dot" and then you compare at the end to see how much you owe or collect from each of the others in your group.

Some folks will play something like 50 cents a tick and double on birdies/eagle for two "ticks" if birdie/eagle wins the hole.

I'm still learning...

I took it (ticks) to mean "dots" or some sort of mark that denotes that you have won a hole. It's a way of keeping up with your bets on the scorecard.

Putts is leather I think is just the length of the grip are gimmies

Thanks for the explanations for these two.

Can roll the ball in the fairway - cannot touch it elsewhere.

If I'm reading a couple of replies here correctly, this means you can roll your ball to a better lie only on the fairway, correct?
Now my question is this,
I'm only asking, not being sarcastic or anything, ok?
But why do you allow this, and how far can you roll the ball?

As a result of this situation, I haven't played golf in three weeks which is very very rare for me....I'm still pondering what to do...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Who has been here?