• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Packing It Away

Sell the Scotty and get a decent $40 putter locally...you'll have around $150 left. Earn some money mowing lawns/shoveling snow/whatever. Match the $150, sell the blades for whatever you can get. You'll have around $350 which will easily get you a good set of irons (my i3's were less for 9 clubs in great shape). It's really not that hard if you want to do it.

Sell the SC for a little extra dough, and get a good cheap ping putter and keep it in your room to putt with every now and then if the idea occurs.

Take some time off, evaluate whats important to you, if you do come back to golf, you'll be way better off for having the putter in the room. If not, the putter in the room is a great distraction on a bad day or something to do while thinking about stuff.

Well I do mow for my grand parents but if your from wisconsin you can tell that is a slow job right now.

Sell the Scotty, beg, borrow or earn another $100, I've got a mint set of HiBore irons I'll sell you for $300.00. And I'll throw in your choice of a Carbite putter or a Founders Club mallet putter for free.

Yeah I was wondering about that. I'll have to mini putt course with my $200 Scotty Cameron and make some little kid cry. :biglol:

lol...I thought he said don't try and stop him?
And everyone is trying to stop him!:unhappy:

You're 15, right? Get a job. That's the only way I can play, my mom thinks golf is silly. If you worry you wouldn't have enough time with school and racing and golf, it's no big deal for me. I juggle school, golf team, engineering team, work, and ST. :) Whatever you do, don't quit golf!

Dam straight dude, get a job. I'm thirty and I realized that if I wanted to become a good golfer and keep some money in my pocket I had to get a job in golf. Go to your local course and ask for a job. If you can go with public course that has a good practice facility. Then you'll be able to afford golf because it should be free at that point. Not to mention if you're cool about it the Pros may take an interest in you and help you improve your game.

I agree with most people here, once I realized I wanted to golf a lot, I had to work for ti too. Which sucks.

One thing...I wouldn't sell the Scotty unless you have to. Its probably special and you'll probably regret not waiting the couple weeks wages and holding on to it.

Any of your local courses or Country Clubs use Caddies? It would seem like the logical choice if I were a younger golfer.

I golfed when I was 12 and when we moved and the fees went from $25 a year on an Army base, to about $25 a round, I gave it up. Didn't pick up a club again until I was 35 and was sorry I didn't. Probably the reason I found soccer so appealing, as you only needed a ball and some cleats. Golf is an expensive sport, but with your initial comment of giving it up because you do not have enough money to "buy new clubs that are any good", I can't help but think that it sounds like you may be able to still play and enjoy the game if you simply lower your level of taste to your level of income. When I played when I was young, I played with a set of clubs that were $35 used. I still have the clubs in my basement. I guess if I had expectations of owning a $300 putter in order to be able to enjoy the game, I likely would not have enjoyed it when I played either.

While there are not many lawns to mow right now in Wisconsin, there are also likely as many courses open at the time. Which seems to further support that it seems as though you feel buying nice clubs is the fun of the game, which if that is the case, then there are likely other sports that you may be able to enjoy more and play more frequently with less work.

Also, my intent is not to sound harsh or drive you away from the sport, but simply stating what I see and how you could possible still enjoy the sport on a limited income. The first way possibly being lower your expectation on the value of the equipment in being able to still enjoy the sport. If that is not an option, then for what I made working when I was 15, I was happy to be able to play Soccer. I will say, if your reasoning is that the clubs in your bag right now are not good enough to meet your expectations on the game, enough so that you would give up the sport, then you simply need to lower your expectations or give up the sport.

I work so I can play golf.....................:laugh:

My son worked at a golf course so he could golf for free. Took care of carts.

Anyway Topflite---In order to improve in golf you need a passion for the game. Ask yourself????? As for clubs good GI sticks can be had on ebay for $150 or less shipped. And probably better than 75% better than most recreational golfers out there.

As for frustration with chipping etc----we All work through that. I have been golfing for 40 years and chipping issues skulls, fatties etc still creep into my game.

Thanks everybody for the idea's and stuff. I'm going to make up some pit boards and sell them on ebay for $15 w/ shipping so that should get some money plus its not costing me anything but my time. I wanna take some time away and devote it to moto-cross which is my true passion right now and what I want to do in life.

Thanks everybody for the idea's and stuff. I'm going to make up some pit boards and sell them on ebay for $15 w/ shipping so that should get some money plus its not costing me anything but my time. I wanna take some time away and devote it to moto-cross which is my true passion right now and what I want to do in life.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You just have to work around stuff, get some practice balls, start practicing in your back yard, come back next season, and get a dang job kid. You're talking like you are 60 and will never play golf again. You're 15. don't be so dramatic, it can't be that bad if you're out racing all the time, thats a lot more expensive than golf I bet.

I know I need a job I will probably get one sometime. I might work w/ my dad this summer repairing semi-trailer roofs. I'm selling the Scotty Cameron and getting an Odyssey putter for around $50-60. Racing isn't that bad. I have sponsors that pay for some of it plus my dad actually pays for most of it. I think I will spend this summer practicing and maybe hit the course 2 or 3 times. The only reason I sounded dramatic was because I was venting. :laugh:

It happens to all of us. I told my friend that I was quitting today on the 8th hole. after a terrible tee shot. Three shots later I said that it was the greatest game ever played. I also told him I'd see him tomorrow at the range.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520