• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Shaft specs R, S, or X

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some discussion has always existed as to whether the "stiff" plays true, or is "regular" actually stiff in some shafts. I found this site while doing some research on the Black Golds. While I have not yet scoured it for information I did find it quite interesting. At least one can look at the frequency of the shafts and forget about whether or not someone painted an R, S or X on the shaft.

http://12.106.66.20/Dynacraft/graphics/doc/SFA2006ch4.pdf

May or may not be helpful, but I find it interesting. Does anyone know the typical frequencies of a the AVERAGE "stiff" flex driver shaft?

I'm a firm believer in testing, not just buying whatever is marked on the shaft on faith. I've always played R flex shafts... stiffs usually cause me to push the ball. But the irons I bought last August are King Cobra Stiff and they play great for me. The new r7 Draw driver I just bought is a regular flex (the combo is what the launch monitor said was right for me) and feels very good. So I think that there is some room for crossover between the ratings with different manufacturers.

May or may not be helpful, but I find it interesting. Does anyone know the typical frequencies of a the AVERAGE "stiff" flex driver shaft?

That's the problem there is no 'Average' when it comes to shaft flex. It would be better if they put the frequencies on the shaft as well as putting r,s or x on it. Or the R&A and USGA should set the premiters.

They should put R, S or X markings full stop on graphite I believe, just the frequency number. I believe the proper driver CPM for a S in a driver is around 245-248

There is the odd manufacturer that does sell them this way

The problem with that chart is that those CPM numbers are for the one shaft they tested. Not all V2's stiffs for example will frequency the same.

The other big problem is that the frequency number most companies use is butt frequency at raw length, which is of little use when it comes to an assembled club. It works fine as a starting point, but a raw shaft that cpms at 235 may be at 245 in an assembled club.

Each shaft must be tested on its own with its final playing length and weight factored in. There really is no easy way to do this, hence the reason no standardized method is available to date among manufacturers.

The problem with that chart is that those CPM numbers are for the one shaft they tested. Not all V2's stiffs for example will frequency the same.

The other big problem is that the frequency number most companies use is butt frequency at raw length, which is of little use when it comes to an assembled club. It works fins as a starting point, but a raw shaft that cpms at 235 may be at 245 in an assembled club.

Each shaft must be tested on its own with its final playing length and weight factored in. There really is no easy way to do this, hence the reason no standardized method is available to date among manufacturers.

That is great insight, thanks.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,423