• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Some thoughts please...

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently I've been hitting a lot of shots with my driver low off the heel of the club. I know because of the tell tale marks on impact, but I also feel a high weak fade as the result. It may have something to do with my latest new driver, but I feel that I am addressing the ball as normal.

I know I am swinging well, as when I get it close to the sweet spot it has a great shape and trajectory.

I am trying to get the ball higher up on the club face towards the toe (to optimise the sweet spot) but all my efforts are failing. Here's what I've tried:

• Adressing the ball off the toe of the club
  • Standing further away / closer to the ball at address

Any ideas of cause or cure?

Try not to go nuts doing loads of quick fixes because you're good enough to know that temporarily standing too far away from the ball will eventually become a different problem.

One thing that gets overlooked while people move their feet back and forwards is the distance between your hands and your body (your nuts to be specific). It should be about one hand span, if you've got that right just take a few extra seconds getting yourself set up with a good comfortable and balanced stance (imagine if you were pushed by someone a little from any direction, would you remain balanced or would you fall over a bit?)

Cheers EG

Good points. Quick fixes are not going to help. It's more a mental checklist of things for me to go through to eliminate the source. I probably need a lesson or two, just to get some things straightened out. I prefer doing this myself, but sometimes it takes an 3rd party.

Meantime I'll try the "hand / nuts" distance ratio gig.

Howya IG, sorry aboot last Friday - dont worry the TE Exotics is a cure all ;)

Dave Ireland said:
Howya IG, sorry aboot last Friday - dont worry the TE Exotics is a cure all ;)

No worries Dave, I hope everything is fine and dandy with you and yours.

I got the TEE 2 weeks ago - just starting to dial it in now and last night didn't the eff'ing thing break! The shaft has come loose from the hosel. Not sure what I'm going to do next!!!!

Anyway, one thing I do like about the TEE is it's ultra mirror like shiney face, you can tell exactly where each ball hit the clubface. A lot of mine recently have been low in the heel??? No matter how good the TEE is, the sweet spot is still about 2-3 inches from where I am currently hitting it.

Undoubtedly it is a swing flaw. But I also thought that maybe the set-up of the TEE (and the 460cc head) has me optically deluded into thinking I am laying it down square. Dunno.

Not an issue now until I get this feckin' club fixed. Do you think your mate in Drogheda (TEE dealer) would sort it out for me, even though I bought it here on ST? Don't they have some sort of lifetime warranty policy?

btw start lining up some dates in August. Also make yourself available for selection the week of the Ryder Cup. Me and the FiL will be heading down for a few games on The Island, Rathsallagh and perhaps Hollywood Lakes??

Myself and TEE had our first falling out on President's Day - long story short +15 on the 4 par 5's and only 5 over for the rest of the round. Alignment as you say seems to be the problem - tho I think my problem was my shoulders and not the clubface.

You seem to be experiencing good feedback off the clubface ? ... yeah I can feel those "heely" ones even before looking at the face. I tell ya what I'm using now .. you know those fat plastic tees that taper into a ridge, giving you a uniform tee height - they are working a treat at the moment.

*chest puffed out* .. played in Naas GC last Sunday - fundraiser for Children's Hospital .. one of the guys lasered my drive on #18 back to the group waiting on the tee ... 347 yards !!!!!!! ..albeit the last 20 was downhill

I bought the TEE on ebay .. I logged onto the TE website and registered the club for lifetime warranty - have a look at the website and the warranty redemption. If everything is squared off , I'll get on the case with Ricky in Drogheda.

Just lemme know when yer around and I'll be there - yer more than welcome down Hollywood Lakes ...

On your take-away, allow the clubhead

to stay on the target line eighteen inches or so before allowing the clubhead to come inside. Be sure to make a complete back-swing. Start your down-swing nice and slow.

Remember to swing the clubhead smoothly THROUGH THE AREA THE BALL JUST HAPPENS TO BE rather than striking at the ball itself. In passing the club through the area of the ball, it might help to imagine a nail sticking out of the ball that is on the target line and you are going to drive it through with that smooth but powerful pass through the area the ball is located.

Let the shoulders determine the arc that your clubhead makes. Keep connected meaning that if you had head-covers under your armpits, they would not fall out during the swing. This can be accomplished by keeping the elbows close together during the swing.

To be the right distance from the ball at address and impact, you should have just enough room separating your arms from your body to allow you to remove your bottom hand from the grip and pass it, opened to the target, through that space.

Check your posture to insure that you are not leaned over towards the ball. You do not want to be too far on the heels either. Just rock back and forth from the heels to the toes as you are about to address the ball, and split the difference to avoid the extremes which ruin your balance when you make your swing. Believe it or not, sticking the rear-end out like a gorilla, and having the arms hang almost straight down will put you in a very balanced, athletic position. It is most likely that mishits, whether on the toe or heel, come from changes in our body's position during the swing.

Head steady and coil the shoulders rather than swaying them.

Best of luck to you with your swing and game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

cypressperch said:
to stay on the target line eighteen inches or so before allowing the clubhead to come inside. Be sure to make a complete back-swing. Start your down-swing nice and slow.

Remember to swing the clubhead smoothly THROUGH THE AREA THE BALL JUST HAPPENS TO BE rather than striking at the ball itself. In passing the club through the area of the ball, it might help to imagine a nail sticking out of the ball that is on the target line and you are going to drive it through with that smooth but powerful pass through the area the ball is located.

Let the shoulders determine the arc that your clubhead makes. Keep connected meaning that if you had head-covers under your armpits, they would not fall out during the swing. This can be accomplished by keeping the elbows close together during the swing.

To be the right distance from the ball at address and impact, you should have just enough room separating your arms from your body to allow you to remove your bottom hand from the grip and pass it, opened to the target, through that space.

Check your posture to insure that you are not leaned over towards the ball. You do not want to be too far on the heels either. Just rock back and forth from the heels to the toes as you are about to address the ball, and split the difference to avoid the extremes which ruin your balance when you make your swing. Believe it or not, sticking the rear-end out like a gorilla, and having the arms hang almost straight down will put you in a very balanced, athletic position. It is most likely that mishits, whether on the toe or heel, come from changes in our body's position during the swing.

Head steady and coil the shoulders rather than swaying them.

Best of luck to you with your swing and game. Sincerely, Cypressperch

Cheers CP, some good 'uns here to think about.
Always sincere
IG :)

IG, Tee it up a little higher and make sure your grip pressure is not to tight, did it last week hitting futher than I have in 2 seasons. Drove our 1st green off the white tees on Sat for the first time (319yrds up slight hill). Went right to the back of the green leaving a tricky monster 30ft down hill, safe to say I got my par.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520