• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

The No Backswing- Backswing??!!

Right,so actually,its a normal swing with a big pause

and an incomplete shoulder turn

It will probably help thousands of beginners to break 100 and learn the basics,and develop on with sound basics.I see nothing wrong with it,but no way in a million years could I do it

I see it purely as a good way of getting beginners into the gold swing

I hate stack and tilt though

I saw the artical and actually hit a bunch of balls this way. Its quite easy but I would feel like a total tool bringing this to my Sunday game.

I practice that way sometimes. Take the club 85% of the way to the top, then bounce a couple of times to feel the transition before firing through to my left side. I like it as a drill, although I have to be careful when doing it that I don't let my right knee break down. Like Lyle, I would feel like an absolute fool doing it on the course.

Then again, there's an LPGA player (can't remember her name) who cocks her wrists at address, then rotates around to get her club to the top. That must have gotten some odd stares through the years.

Jim Furyk. Lee Trevino. Raymond Floyd. Arnold Palmer. All these guys have unusual swings. The key is that they all are in position to deliver a powerful strike at impact. That's all that really matters.

I like the concept of the "no-backswing" swing. It takes a lot of extraneous motion out. Personally, I won't use it for anything other than a drill.

This is new? I must be 30 years ahead of my time...

I read an article about this a while ago.

From seeing the diabolic progression of Charles Barkley's swing a few years back, this kinda came to mind. His swing actually looked like he was trying to do this but was worried about how he would look, so he tried to do a backswing prior to the set as a disguise.

I would just have visions of looking like Barkley if I tried to do this, and not that my swing is a thing of beauty or I am that concerned with what people think of my swing, I would always have that vision of Barkley in my head.

edit 1 - while it may sound like I am joking, decide for yourself, if I reached that point I would be at a whole new level of humility and I could really see it turning into that for many people if they tried this concept.
YouTube - Charles Barkley Golfing
YouTube - Charles Barkley Golf Swing

Damn....that looks easy....I'm gonna try it.

Don't really care what anyone thinks.....never have.

Maybe that's why I am so unpopular.....

I wonder if there is a lot of distance loss in this method.

The problem that I see is that even with a preset backswing, it still doesn't eliminate people coming over the top, or impacting an open/closed face.

After all, the backswing doesn't hit the ball (just sets up for it)....the moment of truth is still imapact.

If anyone has seen the AJ Bonar vidoes (Truth about Golf), he makes the point that your swing can look as wierd as it can, but as long as your impact is correct, you'll hit solid shots.

I agree with some of the others in this thread: its a good tool as a drill.

-DVS

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As much as i like these two guys, and my lowest score was when i was adopting their methodology, i cannot bring myself to think anyone will use this as anything more than the leadbetter drill it used to be.

Ryan Moore used a bastardised version of this for a while his wrists were bad, but as a "new" swing i cant see it catching on.

Sorry to be skeptical, but this is horseshit. I agree with the comments above, looks like a decent drill and sure it looks easy....but I bet the loss of distance would kill your game. How do you employ this swing with your woods and develop any kind of tempo to hit it far and straight??
I can also see it making a lot of people overswing because they would feel they need to somehow generate a bunch of power in a short period of time and end up throwing their body at the ball.

I can see this working for little wedge shots but that's about it. I will mess around with it at the range though to see what it's like.

Yeah,its an ok drill for a beginner but come on,its not a 'no backswing' swing ,there is a bloody backswing,just one with a long pause

Yeah,its an ok drill for a beginner but come on,its not a 'no backswing' swing ,there is a bloody backswing,just one with a long pause

As quintessentially correct as ever...
icon12.gif

David Leadbetter put something like this forth as "The Swing of the Future" about five years ago in Golf Digest. I have tried it and agree. Great as a practice drill, but...

Actually people who have tested it reported no loss at all in distance. Your backswing has nothing to do with the amount of force created on the way down. The backswing is simply a way to get the club to the top so you can pull it down.

I once saw an old Korean guy down at our local range using a 'no backswing' approach to hitting the ball. He took his stance, then moved his club back very slowly and deliberately, like each section of the move had to be taken individually until the clubhead was at the optimum position at the back of his swing. Then he'd swing through to hit the ball. He seemed to make great contact with the ball but with very little distance, although I put that down more to his build and age than swing.

The weird thing was that the whole swing seemed to take forever to complete, and actually looked like a Tai Chi exercise than a golf swing.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520