• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Vanishing Bee Syndrome

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What in blazes is going on with the world's bees? I keep reading all these stories about how a significant percentage of the world's beehives are failing and that all the bees are dying.

In territories across Canada, Europe and more than 25 states in the U.S., around 40% of bees have simply disappeared. There are no dead bodies left behind to tell the tale; they’re just gone. “Colony Collapse Disorder” or “Vanishing Bee Syndrome,” is thus far an unexplained phenomenon. No one seems to know why, but there are explanations aplenty, ranging from global warming though malnutrition, pesticides, pathogens, immunodeficiencies, mites, fungus, genetically modified crops and electromagnetic radiation have all been cited as possible causes. Even cell phones and aliens have been blamed!

The bees have disappeared before, of course, but never to this scale. So what’s the big deal? First, there’s the pocketbook factor: the U.S. produces more than $15 billion in crops every year that depend solely on bees for their pollination.

More frightening still is the idea that bees are a cornerstone of our cycle of life. An (unverified but infamous) quote from (possibly) Albert Einstein: “If the bee disappears from the surface of the earth, man would have no more than four years to live. No more bees, no more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.”

Is there anything we can do about this? If the bees all die, are there any substitute pollinators we can use? Or is Einstein right and we're all doomed?

In the meantime buy this :laugh:

we get [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]a lot of B. rupestris in our garden apparently. I've never seen them before this year.[/FONT]

IG:

I already bought it!!!:laugh:

If the scientists would only tune into ShotTalk, the explanation could easily be found. As WBL has gone from his Raputre to his Geek to his TM with "X" shaft to his 905... the drives have gotten longer and the shock waves from his almighty swing have expoentially increased. Those shock waves are simply knocking the bees from the sky!!!! Please, WBL, throttle back the drives and save the planet!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

A huge problem is the exorbant amounts of CO2 we put in the air.

I have one too. :)

That bee-ing said, I haven't noticed a decrease locally. Our garden is still full of bees all summer. But then again, I ain't no apiologist.

Any insight as to why, IG? Please don't say global warming, I might just vomit.

R35

If the scientists would only tune into ShotTalk, the explanation could easily be found. As WBL has gone from his Raputre to his Geek to his TM with "X" shaft to his 905... the drives have gotten longer and the shock waves from his almighty swing have expoentially increased. Those shock waves are simply knocking the bees from the sky!!!! Please, WBL, throttle back the drives and save the planet!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I have a different theory. He took all the drivers he bought and put them in a pile. Eventually the pile got so huge that it began to have its own gravity field. I'd bet a lot of the bees are in orbit of his drivers. :laugh:

limpalong

I have a different theory. He took all the drivers he bought and put them in a pile. Eventually the pile got so huge that it began to have its own gravity field. I'd bet a lot of the bees are in orbit of his drivers. :laugh:

lamebums

Actually, with each driver change the increasing loss of distance was noticed by the bees who decided (based on me) that pollenating the crops here was a waste of time since we were all going to die soon so moved. :)

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Rock, to be fair, it does have somewhat to do with global warming...

The majority of the issues associated with the disappearance of pollinating bees are the Varroa Mite as well as current farming practices.

Rock, to be fair, it does have somewhat to do with global warming...

Maybe the bees are a little warmer but that would be about it. The article Lyle posted would seem to be a much better explanation.

Temperatures increase globally BEFORE CO2 levels increase. CO2 does not cause Global Warming. And there have been many, MANY climate changes across the span of the globe. Thirty years go, the same whiners who are fear-mongering the global warming "threat" were doing the same thing for "global cooling".

As for the bees, I gotta say I feel like I'm doing my part. I never restrain myself from trying to smack bees out of the hair, hit them with badminton rackets, or humiliate them with verbal mockery. Sounds like they finally got the message, to me =)

It's another of nature's mysterious ways. The bees shake their little bee bodies to warm up the hives. This increases global temperatures. Added to the temperature increases from cow flatulence and our Hummers, it's reached the panic point, and the bees are killed so the temperature will go back down. Humans won't be killed because we are the pinnacle of nature's creation. And the cows won't be killed because Spank needs to grill.
icon12.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424