• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Well I ordered it all: Building my own clubs!

lildudejds

Shut up ya dumb beaver...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just did it, I ordered the Snake eyes 675XC Forged irons 5-pw.

52,56,60 Oil Soaked 8620 Wedges.

8 FST Pro White stepless shafts

3 FST Hi Rev Wedge shafts

Grip Tape, Epoxy, Grip solvent, shaft cutter, and 12 ferrels.

All shipped for about $280.

Anything I'm missing besides grips? I'm gonna get those from my club.

Those irons sure look sexy:)

I use a Black and Decker Workmate.

Sandpaper or a belt sander for tip prep???

Probably more than you want to invest right now, but I also use a spine finder. I think it makes a world of difference.

It's a lote of fun. Enjoy. :)

how are you weighting the heads?

Hmmm. A 48 inch ruler. A wire brush to do a quick cleaning of the hosels. Tip prep can be done with a fine grit sandpaper. A Swingweight spreadsheet is nice tool to have, but you would also need a gram scale. Shafting beads maybe.

I have a vise and sandpaper. I also have a gram scale and a ruler. I saw a vid that had a block that was used to help put a ferrel on. Is that necessary?

Ferrule install, the cheap and easy way......

Lightly sand the inside of the ferrule.

Put some epoxy on the inside of the ferrule.

Put some epoxy on the tip of the shaft.

Put the ferrule on the shaft, put the shaft vertical, and push the ferrule up(down) flush with the tip of the shaft.

Now take the clubhead and push the ferrule into place up the shaft.

Epoxy the clubhead and let it sit in the vertical position.

Done.

The epoxy inside the ferrule gives it a bit more lubrication to make it easier to slide up the shaft. Plus it holds it nicely when the epoxy sets.

Lastly, wipe the epoxy off with either a rag with some grip solvent, or even better, some baby wipes. Baby wipes work GREAT for cleaning up wet epoxy.

Have you decided whether you are going to try an MOI build or a standard SW build?

My favorite epoxy is the 30/60 from Golfsmith. Lots of time before it starts setting up, and you can play them in the morning if you do them at night. And you can cut to length and put grips on without any fear of the clubhead/shaft slipping in less than an hour.

Ferrule install, the cheap and easy way......

Lightly sand the inside of the ferrule.

Put some epoxy on the inside of the ferrule.

Put some epoxy on the tip of the shaft.

Put the ferrule on the shaft, put the shaft vertical, and push the ferrule up(down) flush with the tip of the shaft.

Now take the clubhead and push the ferrule into place up the shaft.

Epoxy the clubhead and let it sit in the vertical position.

Done.

The epoxy inside the ferrule gives it a bit more lubrication to make it easier to slide up the shaft. Plus it holds it nicely when the epoxy sets.

Lastly, wipe the epoxy off with either a rag with some grip solvent, or even better, some baby wipes. Baby wipes work GREAT for cleaning up wet epoxy.

Have you decided whether you are going to try an MOI build or a standard SW build?

My favorite epoxy is the 30/60 from Golfsmith. Lots of time before it starts setting up, and you can play them in the morning if you do them at night. And you can cut to length and put grips on without any fear of the clubhead/shaft slipping in less than an hour.

Or you could do it my way.

Seat the ferrule onto the shaft, pushing it as far as you can with your fingers. When it gets stuck, take the shaft and ferrule and run it under hot, hot water for about 30 seconds and then take the clubhead and push the ferrule up the shaft.

It has always worked for me and I don't have an issue with ferrules sliding up the shaft. I don't know about you buy my fingers are WAY to big to try to sand INSIDE a ferrule.

Jim, try rolling the sandpaper up - fits inside great :)

I've tried hot water with the ferrules - most of the time they got stuck and I cut them off - sliding them on with epoxy is the way to go. unlike augster, I don't put any epoxy on the ferrule - just a very light coat on the shaft tip and it slides right on. The baby-wipes comment is right on - one of the best tips ever

hopefully someday I'll learn how to get those damn collared ferrules seated properly :)

Since I've been tinkering with my clubs, i've pretty much abandoned the golfworks 24 hr epoxy - I use it when I assemble clubs for others, but I hate pulling heads that were put on with 24 hr epoxy. I've been using Dr Foo's Glue (I think Bang distributes it - I picked it up from 2 putt golf) and think it's great. I have the 5 minute quickset and the 30 minute stuff (they use the same resin) - have never had a failure and can pull a head quickly with minimal heat - for my own clubs, it's definitely the way to go, but I do wish it smelled a little better (I'm guessing it's the same as golfsmith's 30/60)

I use the golfworks tour set plus. Ready to hit in 90 minutes and I have never had a failure with it.

I wish I had asked how to seat ferrules in the past. Some great tips here, I'll definitely have to remember to try them.

Translate please? Yeah I'm not really sure what that means. Is that a problem? Things like that make me feel I shouldn't be attempting this ha....

Also, How do I know how much to cut off of the tip of the shaft?

There are web sites that will tell you how much to trim for each club.

And when you buy a set of OEM clubs, they aren't MOI or SW matched. I'm not exactly sure what it means either. But for your 1st set, I wouldn't worry about it. You will probably end up a better set than you could go buy off the rack at a box store, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you built them.

I get great satisfaction when I hit my Tee 4 wood farther than my playing partners hit their driver, and then they look at it and I tell them I swapped out the shaft myself.

Everything went perfect. Ferrules went on and set perfectly. Shafts were cut perfectly to length, and grips went on smooth, no bumps. For my first time doing ANY of that stuff, I'm extremely satisfied. My new clubs are sexy as can be. Those wedges are pretty nice! The first few balls I hit I was surprised to find ball cover in the grooves! I had never done that before....I guess that's the benefit of having new wedges.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520