• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When do I get a gap wedge (52*)?

Turkish

Reaction score
Now that I'm hitting the balls better, and able to drive, I'm leaving myself at distances where a quiet PW still takes me over the pin. Other times I'll get on the SW (56*), yet still won't take a full swing because I'm afraid of making it fly over, so that will just land on the fringe or rough to the side for another chip.

Should I start by just taking a whack at the damn ball with a SW and say 'live and learn', or should I just get another Adams $30 wedge, this time in 52*? I should have just gotten the whole set 52, 56, 60 for the $80 when I had the chance. :D

Get one if you feel there is a distance gap, or if you a low bounce, higher loft than PW club for aroound the greens. Screw it, just get one.
As for the set, Im sure you could get a Nicklaus or Watson wedge set for around $100, but Id try a few out and pick one that feels the best.

Get one if you feel there is a distance gap, or if you a low bounce, higher loft than PW club for aroound the greens. Screw it, just get one.
As for the set, Im sure you could get a Nicklaus or Watson wedge set for around $100, but Id try a few out and pick one that feels the best.

I do love my Watson SW, it's my favorite club after the putter now. :D

I agree. Get the wedge. My PW is 45* and my SW is 54* so I had a big gap that filled in perfectly with a 50*.

When you need to fill the gap. :p

I agree. Get the wedge. My PW is 45* and my SW is 54* so I had a big gap that filled in perfectly with a 50*.

wow.. that's my 9i.
my PW is 49* so i carry 54 and 60 wedge. don't really use much of 60, but sure do use my 54 numerous times per round.

Definitely get a gap wedge, but also spend some time down at the range learning to hit different distances with less-than-full swings, as that will be really beneficial to your game.

Personally I spend a lot of range time trying hit the 100 or 75yd flag at my local range with all the clubs in my bag, to get a feel for distance and trajectory control. Not only does it help immensely for control around the green, but you never know when you'll have to maunfacture a shot and it'll come in handy - on several occassions I've got out of trouble with a low shot between 100 ang 150 yards with my 19* hybrid that requires a half-swing or less.

Some good ideas there, I have to make it out to the range more and practice in between shots, not just full on blasts.

Now that I'm hitting the balls better, and able to drive, I'm leaving myself at distances where a quiet PW still takes me over the pin. Other times I'll get on the SW (56*), yet still won't take a full swing because I'm afraid of making it fly over, so that will just land on the fringe or rough to the side for another chip.

Should I start by just taking a whack at the damn ball with a SW and say 'live and learn', or should I just get another Adams $30 wedge, this time in 52*? I should have just gotten the whole set 52, 56, 60 for the $80 when I had the chance. :D

I'm specualting from the info you provided that you don't have a 52°....so you have a 48, 56 & 60?

Easiest thing would be to bend the 56 degree to 54 degrees.

I am a firm believer in "6 degrees of seperation" of wedges...a 48/54/60 allows me to swing harder on the higher lofts or swing softer for the lower lofts.....they're distances overlap leaving no distance I cannot hit with either a full or partial backswing.

bending wedges reduces bounce,not always a good idea

Answer the question 52* in what club out? For me I did not need the bounce on a sand wedge so it goes out. I just use the 60* wedge out of the sand and the 52* and 60* are more useful for me else where.

If you are good at controlling the trajectory with your PW then the gap wedge may not be needed. Rarely do I ever hit any wedge "full" The distance and spin is too difficult to control and variable to rely on with that swing speed. Ballooning occurs, wind issues, and just plain control problems when hitting that hard.

bending wedges reduces bounce,not always a good idea

Personally I am not a big fan of bounce in my wedges. Most amateurs play on hard, dry courses with bunkers that contain more gravel than they do sand. They are usually firm as well. None of these conditions favor high bounce.
Dont get fooled in to believing that more bounce is better. My PW has 4º, my sand and lob both have 6º, plenty imo.

I even use both wedges to fine tune the distance. In close, I use a pitching specific stance. From that stance, I know that a half swing goes about 40 yards with my 52* and 35 with my 56*. So I will frequently tune distance with both stance, how much I choke up and club. I try to not control too much with how much swing I take. I find that this is more consistant.

I'm specualting from the info you provided that you don't have a 52°....so you have a 48, 56 & 60?

I'm not sure of the angle on my PW, and I do not have a 60. I got the SW because my chips with my PW just wouldn't do, and as soon as I bought the SW they've helped me from day one.

I'm not sure of the angle on my PW, and I do not have a 60. I got the SW because my chips with my PW just wouldn't do, and as soon as I bought the SW they've helped me from day one.

Well, the absolutely weakest PW sold these days is 48 degrees. Most sets PW is going to be around 45-46 degrees, and some are as strong as 43. And most SW are 56 degrees, so we are talking about at least 8 degrees, probably more like 10-11 degrees, and possibly as high as a 13 degree gap. If you are comfortable with that gap, then you don't need a GW, but most people want something between the two.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520