• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

When is a does a fade become a slice?

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Reaction score
What is the point of demarcation? I am finally getting to the point where I have a good idea as to where my irons will land with good contact, and that is always right of where I am aiming. The ball flight does curl right, so there is sidespin involved, what I want to know is this, if I can hit my 9 iron consistently 10 yards right of where I am aiming and land it there is it a slice or a fade? Slice to me means unpredictable, but that's just my take.

:confused: I think a fade lands in the fairway and doesn't hurt your distance. A slice goes way too far right and you lose alot of distance. That's my interpretation anyway.

A fade is no more than 10 yards in my books. Anything else is a slice. A fade should be a controlled shot, while a slice isn't. Same goes for a hook/draw.

R35

BY THE BOOK; a slice is described as a shot that starts straight and bends to the right, because of the spin results in a loss of distance, and a worst loss of accuracy. a fade is a played shot left to right (this all for righties) and doesnt really loose distance too much because its a proper spin. OBVIOUSLY a fade isnt a loss in accuracy because your hitting it where you want to.

LOL. This had me laughing before I even opened it... and then I saw it was your post Davebud.
icon10.gif
For me a fade becomes a slice when I play it too far forward but that's beside the point.

Basically I'd call it a fade if you do it on purpose, how large a fade is the question. I'll often choose to hit an iron fade when there is a ton of room on the left and the pin is on the right. I want the shot to land and kick sideways, getting me closer. There is nothing wrong with playing the fade just about exclusively. Mine has gotten less consistent/controllable since messing around with the draw too much.

BTW- Your Seahawks kicked my Giants a$$es and you also mopped the floor with me in FFB.
icon9.gif
Thought I might have a chance when Eli scored 23 at the end and I had 2 Patriots to go. NOT!!

A fade becomes a slice about the same time the ball hits a tree, water, parking lot, some random golfer in another fairway, etc. If it clears the county line, or lands in the back of a red pickup on Sherman Dr. in Denver, it becomes a power fade.

If you were driving said red pickup, it wasn't me. That's my story & I'm sticking to it! :biglol:

Yeah wasn't that great Ezra? Got to love the Hawks, I think it could have been worse but once they got up on them 35-0 they kind of lost their killer instinct, something akin to kicking a corpse.:)

Back to the point at hand, my distance is not affected, I am pretty much between 145-160 on the fly with the 9 iron, I am OK with that, and it will land almost always 8-10 yards right of the point I am aiming so I can account for it and work it into play. I was just wondering since this is the easiest shot for me to hit with consistency, was I playing my "natural" tendency or just working my slice into my game?

When you end up in the rough, curse, and throw your brand new Titty in the water.

:confused: I think a fade lands in the fairway and doesn't hurt your distance. A slice goes way too far right and you lose alot of distance. That's my interpretation anyway.
I like the way wbl describes it..

Slice when I'm playing the other fairway.

If you are not sure it is a slice. :)
If you can control it, it is a fade. :)

I think of the way the ball reacts on contact with the ground. A tight fade will dig a bit and hit soft as a baby's butt. Great for distance control into the green. A slice will skip hard right and not hold fairway or green.

I think a fade turns into a slice when you have to talk to your ball and ask it politely to end up in the fairway.

A fade is what *I* hit, and a slice is what my friends hit when they play identical shots... ;)

A fade you hit on purpose,a slice you don't.So a fade becomes a slice when you didn't mean to do it.

I figure a fade is something where you can tee from the right side of the tee box and aim down the left side of the fairway, and still end up in the fairway.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520