• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What ball?

A

Apocalypse

what golf ball is the best and why?

[i like pro v1's and NXT's. although i also like the Callaway balls it seems that the outer shell on them seems get scratched by my wedges more often than with others.]

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
There is no definative answer to that question.

It's like asking which girl is better, the blonde, brunette or redhead and why?

I am a high handicapper so the subtle differences in balls genearlly go unnoticed by me and most people like me. I know that I like a low compression, inexpensive ball. Slazenger Raw distance, Dunlop LoCo, Precept laddies and maxfli noodles.

Upscale balls I like are Callaway blues, Precept U tri tours and the new bridgstone ball is nice.

Titleist's prov series gives me nothing but a lighter wallet but low handicappers love them....probably cause they don't just rip them into the woods like I tend to.

I usually buy a dozen of the low end balls that I mentioned but I pick up at least a sleeve of the latest and greatest just to try...gonna be looking for a sleeve of the nike platinum's before too long.

btw.....

Welcome to the board! :)

lameshooter

Eagle is my middle name.
Apr 13, 2005
Hey Apocalypse welcome.

like sling said there is really no definate answer to that question, its pretty much a personal preference and how well the ball fits to your game and budget. you hafta test out different ones to see which ones fit your game the best, you can hit different balls better and such.

I personnally usually only hit Titleist's Pro-V1's, DT-Solo's, or the NXT, i also like the Callaway HX HOT, BLUE, and Tour's

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Slingblade61 said:
...gonna be looking for a sleeve of the nike platinum's before too long.

btw.....

Welcome to the board! :)

I found a platinum the other day on 10 and played the back 9 with it. It's a decent ball. A lot firmer than I thought it would be.

If you want a cheap ball that spins look for the discontinued TourAccuracy TW's by Nike. I play those in firm conditions, and then the Pro V1's in softer conditions when I'm looking for less spin.

Ok - you guys are saying like he likes the Pro V1's cause they spin LESS??? It is true. I am a high spin player and generate way more spin with the Nike's than the Pro V1's. If you have a chance pick up a dozen for 15$ and you'll see what I mean.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I have been pretty happy with my switch to the Precept U-Tri Tours...especially since prices seem to be falling a bit.

I can now buy them at Academy Sports for $26.75USD - which is pretty decent.

I still like Pro-V1's and would play them if they weren't so expensive.

Interestingly, they make their way into my bag on a very regular basis. I find them on the course all the time....picked up two nice ones on Sunday morning...what surprises me is the number of high handicappers who play them. I guess they figure they are getting additional tee distance from the ball and buy them anyway.

Bama Duffer

Mar 14, 2005
Yep. I usually use Pro V-1's but they are ones I found in the woods. I've got a bag full. I got two boxes of the Pro v's for Christmas, but haven't even opened them. I'm still working on losing the ones I've found.

It's a never-ending cycle, though. I hit one in the woods, wander in to find it, and come out with two more than I went in with.

Oh, and I like playing Noodles.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
lameshooter said:
I personnally usually only hit Titleist's Pro-V1's, DT-Solo's, or the NXT, i also like the Callaway HX HOT, BLUE, and Tour's

Wow - that's quite an assortment there. Those balls are all very different; do you adjust the ball based on conditions?? The reason I ask, is you have some total opposite end of the spectrum balls (Solo vs HX Tour).

I notice that the golf ball is an aspect of the game that I find a lot of people overlook when getting the proper gear for their game.

goatster

SUPER SOAKER
Feb 20, 2005
at the beginin of the season i buy cheap balls figureing that in the cold weather and my rusty swing arent worth the good stuff.now that im startin to play alittle better and only losin 1 ball every 2 or 3 rounds i`ll switch to pro v 1`s or hx tours.

MyGolfDomain.com

Apr 2, 2005
Like a lot of people, I have been playing Pro V1X's lately. I bought some with some tournament winnings (pro shop credit). There usually isn't a lot to pick from in the pro shops, so I often get balls. I just threw out some empty sleeve boxes hehe.

Another ball I like is the HX Red from Callaway.

I have some black Nike's, but I haven't even hit one yet!

caddyshackgolf

Be The Ball
Feb 22, 2005
I havent bought golfballs in a while. Cause people are always giving me golf balls or I find them. But I always find titelist and thats my favorite ball so it works out good.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
I buy used balls off of ebay. Great condition, half the price.

I decided to play V1's, instead of the V1x's this year and bought 6 dozen (used).

I kidded myself into liking the "softer feel" of the V1's.

It turns out, I really, really, really, REALLY miss the extra 10-15 yards the V1x gives you.

The Pro V1x is, IMO, BY FAR the longest ball out there, bar none.

Anyone want to buy some used V1's? I'm buying some V1x's for the second half of this season.

Those U-Tri's mentioned above are just as good as the regular V1, and at the price point makes it much better.

Callaway Tours are no better than regular V1's also.

Sadly, the V1x is the only ball I could recommend at this point in time. No ball is longer, and it still has enough feel around the greens to make it "soft". The pros have no problem spinning it, that's for sure.

If you "can't afford" them, get them slightly used (AAA+ quality) off of Ebay for basically half-price of new.

ChrisR

Jun 22, 2005
Seeing as how I am a newbie to the game I have tried a few balls. And since I have a wicked slice I thought I would try the Precept PWRDrive balls because it is suppose to reduce side spin. And come to find they are an all around decent ball.
I have tried the Pro V1x's, Nike X Long, NXT Tour, DT SoLo. All nice balls, but I have found the PWRDrive has been much more durable.

Dave Ireland

I'm sizzlin tonite
Aug 31, 2004
Slingblade61 said:
There is no definative answer to that question.

It's like asking which girl is better, the blonde, brunette or redhead and why?

:)

Eh.... the one with the biggest chats ??? ..... shallow yeah I know

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
pro V's just aren't that good in my opinion, the only good titleist ball as far as i'm concerned are the DT solo, or the old professional 100's

nike's and precept's are great nike TA2/SPN are where its at, along with the U-TRI's

callaway's are alright, would never buy any though,

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.