• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Beijing Olympics 2008

eclark53520 said:
I see your point but that would mean that, basically, anyone not good enough to play on the PGA tour is not playing golf theyre just hitting a ball with a stick and hoping it goes in a hole...its the same game, just played at a different level of skill is all.

I guess that I was a little harsh in what I said there. Often times when it is played in a back yard during a BBQ or other event, it is played not as a sport but as recreation.

In the same way, people who go out and golf only once or twice a year play the game as recreation not as a competitive sport.

And before anyone replies to this, I will clarify what I mean by sport. For me to classify something as a sport, or to play a sport, there has to be the will to improve and to practice. If you just go out to have fun, there is nothing wrong with that, but if you were to ask me, I wouldn't say that they were playing a sport.

And usa1950, he wasn't disputing that soccer isn't the #1 sport in the world, he was just using it as comparison. You said that Badminton was a joke of a sport because it was played at BBQ's and holiday gatherings, well so is soccer

^^^ thanks for getting us back on topic. I actually felt kinda bad about the degree to which I derailed a legitimate thread.

(Most times, people just ignore me and move along as initially intended. [insert tiny violin emoticon])

EDIT: Holy carp! There is actually a tiny violin emoticon out there:
awww.cre8asiteforums.com_forums_style_emoticons_others_violin.gif

Wow, I know she lost, that Alize girl from France that Serena just beat in Tennis is HOT!!!

Most popular and greatest are two different things there usa.

One in the same to me.... I rarely get on my soccer soapbox... but to consider it a BBQ backyard sport aking to badminton..... I had to act!!! :emot-ange

Obviously I'm on the other end of the spectrum from most Americans. So be it. I'll try not to jump off the deep end anymore.

That said, the USA Men's Soccer team are OUT of the Olympics. A player recieved a Red Card 4 minutes into the match (threw a pretty hard elbow at another player hitting him right in the chest about 10 yards from the referee -- Thanks DUMB AZZ!!!!) and the USA played with 10 men vs 11 for 90+ minutes. The finish was incredible. At 1-0 to Nigeria, (and us threatening, outplaying them with one less player) they score again to make it 2-0 with 10 minutes to go. We could have folded up shop and went home (our guys were freaking gassed... dead tired) but they kept playing hard as hell. We get a goal back to make it 2-1 with about 4 minutes to go. I move to the edge of my seat.

Wth about 2 minutes left one of our attackers heads all ball past the Nigerian goalkeeper... terrific header, he had no chance to save it, and it clangs off the crossbar and out.

^$^$#^ #^#^$#*!!!!!!!!

The freak Michael Phelps swims again tonight. Another Gold and another World Record? I'm thinking he has a chance.

One in the same to me.... I rarely get on my soccer soapbox... but to consider it a BBQ backyard sport aking to badminton..... I had to act!!! :emot-ange

Obviously I'm on the other end of the spectrum from most Americans. So be it. I'll try not to jump off the deep end anymore.

That said, the USA Men's Soccer team are OUT of the Olympics. A player recieved a Red Card 4 minutes into the match (threw a pretty hard elbow at another player hitting him right in the chest about 10 yards from the referee -- Thanks DUMB AZZ!!!!) and the USA played with 10 men vs 11 for 90+ minutes. The finish was incredible. At 1-0 to Nigeria, (and us threatening, outplaying them with one less player) they score again to make it 2-0 with 10 minutes to go. We could have folded up shop and went home (our guys were freaking gassed... dead tired) but they kept playing hard as hell. We get a goal back to make it 2-1 with about 4 minutes to go. I move to the edge of my seat.

Wth about 2 minutes left one of our attackers heads all ball past the Nigerian goalkeeper... terrific header, he had no chance to save it, and it clangs off the crossbar and out.

^$^$#^ #^#^$#*!!!!!!!!

The freak Michael Phelps swims again tonight. Another Gold and another World Record? I'm thinking he has a chance.
One man down and only lost by one goal???

Thats pretty good id say...talk about a team stepping up to the plate and giving it their all.

Honestly I actually enjoy soccer.

Soccer = The One Iron.

I don't expect all of you to have the capability to understand...... :laugh:

Jeez, they really need to reduce the number of swimming events. There must be, what?, 500 of them?!!!

How is it fair to have so many swimming events and have each winner get a gold medal and have just one gold medal for basketball or beach volleyball?

They should combine some of these: 100, 200 into sprint swimming for instance, 400 and 800 into middle distance, 1000+ into long distance. And quit with this having a separate event for each stroke. Do fish swim with a different tailflap? NO!!!! Make all the events a medley, and cut down on the number.

If we can reduce the damn swimming, they they can show more women's beach volleyball.

If we can reduce the damn swimming, they they can show more women's beach volleyball.

+2 kabillion...

Was watching beach volleyball last night, g/f walks in and goes, "I wonder what you watching that for?"

Me: "the volleyball"
Her: "Whatever your in it for the boobs and butts"
Me: "So...?"

eclark, for a little fun, tape the men's synchronized diving, and tell the GF that you have saved your favorite Olympic moments so that you can watch them together. :D

Another observation: anyone else notice that virtually all of the USA athletes have little wires growing out of their ears almost all of the time?

That is so lame looking: Here I am on world-wide TV, in a for many once-in-a-lifetime experience, in one of the largest, most exotic cities in the world, walking around the Forbidden City that is hundreds of years old, and I have to listen to some garbage rock 24/7 that I have probably already heard 200 times?

How in the hell did we ever compete before the invention of the ipod?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,424

eclark53520