• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

About to step on a snake ....

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Yep, that's right. There I was last Saturday at my home course. Near the green on a par 4. I moved to the side of the fairway while my playing partner lined up her approach shot. I was about to step on a 2 to 3 foot 'twig' when all of a sudden it came to life & popped its head up.

I then did a version of "Crouching Tiger, Flying Golfer" & managed to reverse levitate with accompanying unrepeatable commentary.

Said snake disappears. Some golfers waiting at the next tee come over to try & find the snake (still scratching my head about why they would want to). Fugitive snake is found making good its escape by climbing vertically up the trunk of a nearby tree.

Has anyone had a similar experience on a course?

Have you asked the teaching pro?:hunter:

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
This little biyatch ....

ahome.lagrange.edu_tummy_widow.jpg

BrandonM7, looks like you were raising a monster there. For what its worth, we have a relative to the black widow in our neck of the woods, although its called the "Red Back" spider. It's been known to kill children or the elderly. It'll make an adult pretty sick. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redback_spider

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
The perils of living in 'the lucky country' True. :p

A few years back I was out on the course and had carved my ball left on 13 LIKE I ALWAYS DO! Anyhoo, trudging around in ankle deep grass looking for my ball with club in hand, and I feel something slap against my leg (Aussie summer, obviously wearing shorts). For some reason or another I didn't move my foot from where I was standing.

Quickly glance down and my foot is actually pinning down a 4 foot tiger snake about 4 inches behind its head and its tail is whats flicking my leg, pretty wildly by now. Thank christ I had the club in hand, I was able to use that to keep its head in place while I jumped / ran as fast and quickly as possible. It had a strike at me and only missed by two feet.

Scariest thing I've ever encountered. In the words of Holly 'It's brown trousers time' (10 points for anyone who gets the quote, playing at home).

All I can say is that I'm very lucky to stand precisely where I was on his head / back or it could have had 2 or 3 strikes at me before I knew what was happening. Never again thanks.

LeftyHoges

I've got the pants that'll make you dance!
Supporting Member
Jun 11, 2007
Portland, VIC, Australia
Country
Australia Australia
Re: Black snake bites Logan man who tried Steve Irwin-type rescue

Following on from Lefty's anecdote, I'm sure he'd agree that the guy in this story isn't one of our brightest specimens.

ai392.photobucket.com_albums_pp2_thetruereview01_Blacksnakestory.png

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25207421-3102,00.htmlhttp://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25207421-3102,00.html

A few 'roos short in the top paddock, definitely. Couldn't believe this when I first read it.

But at least he let his nuts touch his undies, as we say!

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online