• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

What was your Highlight of your 2006 season?

Driving once 305 yards, straight as an arrow, the ball just hung in the air. I'm not a long hitter, so that was a whole lot of fun.

The other is on a par 5, 105 yards left to the pin, against the wind. Took a Pitching wedge, pictured the shot and the swing. Swung, at impact, I knew the ball would be inside 3 feet from the hole :)

Here's my highlights:

Got cut from 13.7 to 6.9
Represented club in national competition open to all ages, had a 2-0-0 record
Shot back to back 75's (my then lowest rounds)
Shot 74 with 33 on the back
Placed 4th in Scratch Cup, very big competition
Drove 380 yard par 4
The 3rd round with my new Mizuno irons, was thePresidents prize (Huge comp). Anyway, first 5 holes I had 3 birds inside of 3 feet the approaches were so good. I ended up with 78 without making a putt outside 6 feet, the irons were so dialled in it was unreal
Going 5 straight weeks getting my handicap cut
Having a scoring average of 79.5 for the 2006 season

2007 Goals:
Cut to 3 in GUI.
Get on Junior Elite Panels
Represent club again
Win a Scratch Cup

Now THAT is SOMETHING!! Congrats and too bad no one filmed it. :)

Yeah, but they would have filmed me missing the birdie putt, and hearing the groans from the crowd. Doh!!

My most memorable rounds have to be driving to Dallas to play with Irishgolfer and wirehair and having Rock come for a visit and playing 6 straight days. Mmmmmmm, Shiner. :)

These are the experiences that can't happen without a place like ST.

My best round of the year happened early this Spring. My neighbor and I ended up playing without the rest of our group on a day that was cool with a light rain. It was nice though because we had the course to ourselves.

We both walked that day and even though his h/c is 7 strokes better than mine we played skins straight up. At the end of the round we added everything up and both shot 10 over and had the same number of skins. That's still by personal best score though I've done it 3 times.

I'm tempted to say the eagle i scored on a long par 4... 1st shot left me about 30 yards out, used a PW and hopped it on to the fringe and rolled right in. I won the match by 1....

Also tempted to say going 4 over at a golf course I havent played in like 4 years. The course is plenty hard and a bit longer than my usual course.. but they keep it in much nicer condition. The course I usually play isnt well groomed, the sand has weeds in it, the ground is as hard as a rock in some places, so soft in others you'll lose a foot to the bog... squirrels steal your ball and water everywhere.. I have been averaging around 8-12 over the last dozen times I've played there or so and been kinda pissed about it. Went to the other course I was talking about 2 weeks ago and scored a +4. I was actually mad when I went over because I was playing under par and scratch for the first 6 holes or so. Only thing that hurt me was I got two double bogies due to sending my PW over the green. I really am gonna invest in a 60/64 degree this year... honest.

But after all that's reviewed... im gonna say the highlight of my year was two things.. and they're not specific events.

1) getting my putting back. I had the hardest first part of the year because my putting was horrible. I was missing 3 foot putts REGULARLY. A friend finally suggested that I adjust 1 finger and BAM everything clicked back into place again. Funny thing was I used to hold my finger like he suggested, i just forgot somehow between seasons.

2) I had the best year ever with my driver this season. I SUCKED starting off the season and I coudln't hit anything straight. I was hitting further sideways than I was straight for some reason. Between watching a Hogan video and some major range practice.... I got more comfortable with my driver than I've ever been in my life. I was able to hit it straight as an arrow with good roll, a slight fade or draw when I wanted it simply by turning my hips a little more or less on the swing. Sadly though, even with my +4, my drivings turning into crap again because I havent had the time to go out as often and I haven't been practicing. It was just nice to have that mastery for a while...

I had a few memorable shots, one was a chip in for par on a tough par 3. It was one of those shots that you walk up to the ball after duffing a shot saying to yourself " I don't care." ANyway I holed the shot and went on to shot my first ever 39 for 9 holes...

mine would probably be taking 2 weeks in august for a golf vacation..Started up in Vancouver BC..played furry creek and the course at Whistler followed by 2 rounds in Vancouver..then flew down to Oregon and played Bandon Dunes for 2 days and then hopped a plane to Monterey and finished off with Pebble beach and Spyglass

Easily the highlight for me was deciding to play one round *seriously* just to see what my actual ability was after 7 months of playing, and shooting not only under 100 (properly counting penalties and everything) but shooting 96, including my first ever chip-in from off the green. If that was the highlight, then my proudest achievement of 2006 was to go on from there and score under 100 in 70% of the rounds I'd played since, and never more than 104 despite playing some much tougher courses.

The other great experiences of the year were definitely getting a couple of rounds as a guest at Ridgewood CC here in NJ, to see just how tough a REAL course can be (!) and a week on business in Indianapolis where I managed to squeeze in three of the most enjoyable rounds I've played, including my lowest ever score (a 91), a round at Brickyard Crossing, and a round one one of the nicest courses I've played (Twin Bridges).

Didn't have a great summer golfing-wise, but a couple of shots that I do remember were holing a 9-iron for a '2' on Vila Sol (Portuguese Open layout) 5th hole & hitting through the green on our 15th hole whilst being 1-under in a Comp. Found the ball literally after 4mins 55 in thick rough, took a mad swipe at it and holed an 8-footer for par. Unbelievable !!!

Also hit a few 350-yard storming drives which have attracted some attention around the club...!!! :)

Cant pick the best, so here’s a few:

-handicap drop from 9-6
-first 5 eagles
-placed 4th in a province wide trny.
-met a lot of nice people at my course. ( I started playing with strangers more, what fun!!)

I'm equally proud of all 4.

I think next season is going to be be best one yet though. My game is starting to come together.

I had a pretty good day one fine Saturday. On hole 4, I pulled my drive in the rough short of a fairway bunker. I had about 120 yards to go with a bunker guarding the front left side of the green. I used my pitching wedge and hoisted my newly found Nike ONE Platinum ball long and high. My ball went over the bunker, took one bounce, and went in the hole. Everyone seen it but me. I thought they were all jerking my chain. Well, they weren't. Next hole, 200 yard par 3. I hit a clean high fade and left myself a putt less than two feet, birdie. Next hole, par 5. Crushed it right down the middle with authority. Then my stomach started feeling gassy. I took my EZ-GO and went straight to the restroom as the rest of the group teed off. I ended up shooting a 96 that day. :confused:

Shooting a level par (72) after opening with a double bogey on the first hole. I made only one bogey, had three birdies, and thirteen pars. It was one of the most satisying rounds I have ever played.

Shooting a 74 - my best round of the year by three strokes. Came out of the blue...Walked up stone cold and asked the starter if there was anyone I could play with. He pointed to two strangers on the first tee and I asked them if they would mind me tagging along. Played 9 with them. Shot one over.

After the front nine, they said they had to leave as they had started their round on the back - they were finished.

So I walked over to 10 tee and two more strangers were over there teeing off. Asked them if I could tag along. Same thing...shot one over.

Had a grand time with all four players...met four members I had never met before, played in about 3.5 hours and shot the second best round of my life.

Serendipity at its finest....came home on Cloud Nine...

Mine has to be #18 @ TPC Craig Ranch measuring 552. Hit a driver about 300 down the middle then crushed a 2-Iron to the deep right greenside bunker, 60* wedge out of the trap one bounce hit the pin and in she went. This was the best eagle I have had in years.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomaschasse54

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,427

eclark53520