• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ebay vs Website Global Golf/Golf Shoes Only

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
Okay Guys here is the question. Our prices on the website are anywhere from the exact same to about 10% higher than ebay. As you guys know we are the kings of ebay but not of direct website sales!! What are your recommendations for getting your focus off ebay and onto the site? Can it be done??

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
That is a tough one, I have bought from you via ebay a few times and site direct just the last time I purchased. I really think Ebay first when I go to look for something. The thing is while you have had things that I am looking for, sometimes you don't. Ebay almost always does based on the number of sellers.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Okay Guys here is the question. Our prices on the website are anywhere from the exact same to about 10% higher than ebay. As you guys know we are the kings of ebay but not of direct website sales!! What are your recommendations for getting your focus off ebay and onto the site? Can it be done??

Thanks in advance for the input!!

Advertisement, advertisement, advertisement.

I am a webdeveloper and almost every single one of the ecomm sites I put up for my customers fail, reason being, poor advertisment campaigns. I try to educate them on search engine optimization (SEO), advertisement, and longevity. Most die because they are not willing to pay out decent money to advertise and they usually go with google adwords and frankly they do not work. I have viewed the statistics on it and hardly anyone clicks on advertisement banners because they frankly ignore them.

Word of mouth is a great source, I have personally bought an item or items from you guys off of ebay and would recommend you to others but I would also recommend a few others that I have purchased from as well.

Your email campaign is sort of working since I do view the site once in a while to view the latest advertisement items.

One thing that does come to mind! When I received my club from you guys I didnt notice any advertisement in the box, it was just the club and that was it. Try giving a discount code with the purchase of an ebay item only available for online purchases.

If you need any help with anything let me know.

petersmells

Riopos
Nov 28, 2006
I am an Ebay junkie but am always looking for the best deal. I don't remember seeing any advertisement about golf shoes from your site. I will definitly be looking now that I know and I will spead the word to my friends.

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
Everytime I have purchased from you guys via Ebay I got the coupon for 10%, can't find a single one of them, but the thought was nice. DId you quit doing that?

OP
robereno

robereno

Oct 25, 2006
no, we havent stopped!! just sporadic!! Thanks for the input so far!! please keep it coming!! I appreciate the info!

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I recently bought from you on Ebay, not knowing you were a sponsor of Shottalk. Well, basically, I was sent the wrong item, and Golf Shoes Only immediately corrected the problem by sending a replacement without making me return what I had received. It may have only been shoelaces, but that kind of service and respect earned you a loyal customer. That may or may not grow your business, but I will give you the word of mouth advertising you deserve for that service. So I say, keep it up!

clemsonhacker

uncle sam's slave
Aug 15, 2006
i buy lots off ebay...and i see your stuff all the time didnt know about the site...ill have to check it out...esp. that im looking for some more irons

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Demon has some good idea's there. You are doing pretty well IMO. This advertising may cost a little but you are reaching your target market for sure here on Shottalk. I've mentioned you guys on another site and always flaunt the deals I've gotten.

I know it's more work and probably more expensive but your pictures are kind of below average. I've had more luck on Ebay or wherever with good pictures of the product, even if it is a stock photo. Picture is worth 1000 words, couldn't hold more true when selling/buying a tangible good online, especially a used one.

You guys are doing a great job with customer service. I know what I'm getting from you guys. No chances, no BS, just the exact thing I paid for, usually in better than expected condition. Keep it up, more site traffic and purchases will come. You are headed in the right direction with price/quality reflecting a great value. I am willing to pay the extra 10% to get the Global Golf value... other's will too after they experience it.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have bought stuff from you on E-bay under a previous name (I believe it was Tin Cup back then). Now that your a sponser on Shottalk, I will link into your website from the Shottalk home page to see if you have what I am looking for. Unfortuneately, when I am looking for something it is normally a very specific item and not always available on your website. From there I search some other retailers that are known for low prices to find out what I can get the item for. If I find it at a reasonable price on your website or another, I will go no further. If I can not, I head out and on to E-bay. The lure of E-bay is that sometimes you can get a great deal, but you have to deal with the unknown when it comes to the seller. I would prefer to buy my items from a retailer as long as I am getting a good deal.

ualtim

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
It's also difficult because you have to understand that you have a chance at getting a really good deal on eBay, since it's in an auction format. People would probably be more prone to pay 5% more, because they have the chance to pay, say, 20% less.

bryank

Rastagolfarian
Nov 22, 2006
I sell coral on eBay, but only list a piece or two a month simply to get new faces to pop over to my site. The only items I wil llist there are ones that really stand out from the normal stuff offered....we call them cherries in the coral world...but I'm sure golf equip. stuff has a "cherry" line :)

99% of what I sell is cheaper direct through my site than where they hit in the auctions on eBay...and once the new buyers see this, it makes sense for them to shop direct vs. getting into bidding wars.

So, you may could try an experiment for a few months and reduce your eBay listings by a decent, calculated amount. If you normally list 50 a week, try only 25. And then, have those items be some of your best offerings, but at pricing higher than on your site. After all, you're having to cover more fees on Ebay vs. your site.

This way, you'll make a bit extra on those that only shop eBay, but the others that find your site will become customers for life if you take care of them.

I'll be shopping with you soon, good luck! Bryan

My Name is Nate

Yah Shoor Yoo Betcha
Jan 29, 2007
Rob,

I was looking at some items on Ebay under your listing, and also on your site. The item that I was interested in was available in both spots, however the item on Ebay was 1. Cheaper, 2. Steel shafted vs graphite (i wanted steel), 3. Better rating then website version. All 3 had me go to your ebay listing.

When I am looking I usually compare what you have available in both spots. If the Ebay one has better quality, then I will buy there. You currently have 2 sets of Mizuno irons on Ebay. Both the same quality, same price, same flex, etc... If you would have one of those on your site for sale, and the other on Ebay, I would have bought off of the website using the Shottalk link. Instead I have no option but to buy them from your Ebay store.

As a side note, I have an old "Golf for Dummies" book (2nd edition). On page 322 they list globalgolf.com as a link to go if you want to get tee times in Thailand, Spain, etc... Pretty funny. :)

My Name is Nate

Yah Shoor Yoo Betcha
Jan 29, 2007
Advertisement, advertisement, advertisement.

I agree with this as well.

Hope I don't get in trouble for this but... I found a great ebayer (rockbottomgolf) a while back who like you opened a store outside of Ebay. They built up a great reputation on Ebay and transformed their website into a huge enterprise. They would send out bi-weekly or monthly newsletters with discount coupons or specials that they were running. Might be free shipping, or 25% off TM items, etc... I have found now that they are more commercial and don't have as great of deals as they used to, so I look elsewhere.

sandwedge

Oct 19, 2006
I agree with the advertising. I don't buy much on ebay because I don't have access to it at work and I don't spend much if any time on the computer at home.

I tried to buy a Titleist wedge and a Scotty Cameron from your site but they were both sold by the time I tried to add it to my cart and check out. I will definitely be buying some clubs from you in the future.

🔥 Latest posts